Living With a Bleeding Disorder
If you are living with a bleeding disorder, you know it can be challenging at times. The good news is that there are plenty of steps you can take to help you live a healthy, active life.
Preventive measures that may help you avoid bleeding complications:
- Tell all of your healthcare providers, teachers, and employers about your condition
- Tell your trusted neighbors and friends
- Carry your medical information with you (for example, on a medical ID bracelet or a first-aid card). Include the name and telephone number of your healthcare professional or local hemophilia treatment center
- Exercise is important for people with bleeding disorders. Know what physical activities are safe for your particular condition. Ask your healthcare professional for a list of safe activities
- Always check with your healthcare professional before taking any new medications
- Goldfarb B. Pain management strategies. Hemaware; December 11, 2008. http://www.hemaware.org/story/pain-management-strategies. Accessed October 21, 2014.